Burningword Literary Journal accepts poetry and flash fiction submissions for publication. Please read through the brief guidelines and publishing schedule before you submit.
Genres and Details
- Poetry in any form or style in a grouping of between three and six. The entire submission should not exceed 1,500 words. We encourage you to submit each poem separately.
- Flash fiction (a.k.a. microfiction, short short story, sudden fiction, etc.) up to 300 words, as a single submission. You may submit up to three pieces per issue.
- We accept simultaneous submissions and will consider previously published work, however preference will be given to unpublished material. Please include all publication information where applicable.
Burningword is a quarterly web, print and digital publication with issues published January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. The cut-off date for submissions is the 15th day of the prior month for each quarter:
- January submissions are due December 15
- April submissions are due March 15
- July submissions are due June 15
- October submissions are due September 15
How to Submit
Go to our submission form and sign into the system. The process is simple and will allow you to keep track of where you’re sending your writing. Good luck!
Copyrights, Reprinting and Attribution
Why We Have No Free Copies For You
Many have requested—rightfully so—a free copy of the print issue. Currently we use and print-on-demand service, so there are no copies given to us. While this is tremendously eco-friendly, it is not writer-friendly. I apologize that we have no copies to hand out. The Ebook version is available for free download.